My Country - By Dorathea McKeller

 


My Country 

The Love Of Field & Coppice, 
Of Green Shaded Lanes 
Of Ordered Woods And Gardens
Is Running Through Your Veins 
Strong Love Of Blue Grey Distance
Brown Streams & Soft Dim Skies
I Know But Cannot Share It
My Love's Otherwise 


I Love A Sunburnt Country
A Land Of Sweeping Plains
Of Ragged Mountain Ranges 
Of Droughts And Flooding Rains
I Love Her Far Horizons
I Love The Jewel Sea



Her Beauty & Her Terror 

The Wild Brown Land For Me  

DjdjdbdndnCore Of My Heart… My Country Her Pityless Blue Sky…. When Sick A Heart Around Us… We See The Cattle Die …. But Then The Grey Clouds Gather… & We Can Bless Again…. The Drumming Of An Army….. The Steady Soaking Rain….



Core Of My Heart… My Country
Land Of Rainbow Gold
For Flood & Fire & Famine 
She Pays Us Back Threefold 
Over The Thirsty Paddocks, 
Watch, After Many Days 
The Filmy Veil Of Greenness 
That Thickens As We Gaze…..

An Opal Hearted Country, 
A Wilful, Lavish Land - 
All Of You Who Have Not Loved Her 
You Will Not Understand 
Though Earth Holds Many Splendours
Wherever I May Die 
I Know To What Brown Country
My Homing Thoughts Will Fly 

Dorathea McKeller……




















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma Always Made Me Recite This - Clancy Of The Overflow